COLLABORATIVE EXPLORATION AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT OF UNDERGROUND SPACE: NUA, DRIVERS OF CHANGE AND GEOSCIENCES
Wuhan City , China
1. Title of the Campus: Collaborative Exploration and Sustainable Development of Underground Space: NUA, Drivers of Change and Geosciences
2. Lead Partner Organization: Associated Research Centers for the Urban Underground Space (ACUUS),
3. Other Partner Organizations:
IRSM-CAS – Institute of Rock and Soil Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences (http://english.whrsm.cas.cn/)
SKLGME – State Key Laboratory of Geomechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (http://english.whrsm.cas.cn/rh/rd/200908/t20090829_34771.html)
Nanjing University (https://www.nju.edu.cn/EN/)
Shandong University (http://www.en.sdu.edu.cn/)
ACUUS Youth Group Asia
SinoProbe Center – China Deep Exploration Center (http://www.sinoprobe.org/index.aspx)
EUUS 2019: www.euus2019.com
4. UTC Date: Thursday, November 14th to Monday, November 18th, 2019
5. Location / Venue: Hongshan hotel, No1. Zhongbei Rd, Wuchang District, Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China, 430071
6. Language: English
7. Description of the Campus: Convened by universities and research institutions and supported by Hubei Provincial Industry and Technology Innovation Strategic Alliance for Underground Space Development (hosted at IRSM-CAS), this UTC4.0 will help to enhance the public-private awareness of NUA and to advance underground space solutions for achieving UN’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDG 6, 9, 11, 15 and 17).
8. UTC Programme: The “Collaborative Exploration and Sustainable Development of Underground Space: NUA, Drivers of Change and Geosciences” UTC 4.0 will be organized in five days during November 14 – 18, as follows:
Day 1: Presentation of the New Urban Agenda and The City We Need (short course)
Day 2: International forum supported by 30 research institutions and enterprises and international experts (plenaries). Urban Thinkers Sessions will be organized with multidisciplinary presentations.
Day 3: International case studies of collaborative exploration projects for underground space and academic experience sharing with themed urban labs:
- High-resolution Investigation of Underground Space
- Intelligent Modeling and Big Data Mining of Underground Space
- Investigation of Underground Space Resources and Collaborative Planning
- Frontier Exploration and Special Underground Space Utilization
Day 4: International case studies of sustainable development projects for underground space and academic experience sharing with themed urban labs:
- Construction and Maintenance of Underground Space
- Underground Space Development and Urban Resilience
- Typical Cases and Exemplars of Underground Space Development
Day 5: Dialogue and roundtables for “ACUUS-GEO Wuhan Declaration 2019: Urban underground space in our future cities should be explored collaboratively for a sustainable development”
9. List of Speakers / Moderators: TBC
10. Contact: LI Xiaozhao & Jacques Besner
11. Weblink: https://www.acuus.org/index.php/what-is-acuus
12. Our Social Media Channels: https://www.acuus.org/index.php/what-is-acuus
A successful participation of ACUUS at the World Urban Forum 9 in Kuala Lumpur
February 8, 2018
Our President, Dimitris Kaliampakos, along with Mark Wallace, Chair of the Organizing Committee of the 16th World Conference of ACUUS in Hong Kong, Tony Ho, Secretary of the Organizing Committee of the Conference and Yingxin Zhou, Director ACUUS Asia, presented in the AFINUA room four conferences under the theme "Cities need underground - Equity and equality opportunities for the New Urban Agenda". That room was dedicated to the implementation of the New Urban Agenda and how a political commitment, breaking the sectorial, constituency and geographical silos, looking for cross-cutting linkages, can trigger new issues with better partnerships, synergies and coordination.
Following the presention, our delegation met some high representatives of UN-Habitat to talk about the renewal of our MOU with ACUUS.
The Associated Research Centers for the Urban Underground Space joins the World Urban Campaign
Published April 7, 2015
ACUUS is an international ‘Think Thank’ for the underground space definition and planning initiatives with a continuous goal of broadening the membership across continents and countries. To achieve this, ACUUS hosted last year in Medellin, a networking event at the Seventh Session of the World Urban Forum, and signed a MOU of collaboration with UN-Habitat in September 2014, to promote the sustainable use of the underground space. Last October 2014, ACUUS participated to the Urban Thinkers Campus in Caserta, Italy, another initiative of UN-Habitat in preparation of Habitat III.
As a result of those activities, the Associated Research Centers for the Urban Underground Space now joins forces with the World Urban Campaign. The Campain seeks to facilitate collaboration and bring people together to create a better and sustainable urban future for all. If you are interested to help us in that campaign, please contact the Secretariat.
Partners of the WUC: http://www.worldurbancampaign.org/partner/
A big step forward: Cooperation agreement between UN-HABITAT and ACUUS
Montreal, 24 September 2014
The date of September 16th 2014 is remarkable for our organization. A Memorandum of Underground was signed between The United Nati
ons Human Settlement Programme (UN-HABITAT) and the Associated Research Centers for the Urban Underground Space (ACUUS), aiming to establish an official collaboration for raising awareness of the sustainable use of underground space for urban development. Since inauguration of ACUUS Secretariat in Montreal in 1996, our organization incorporated in Canada has maintained an international network of institution members and professional members located in 15 countries aro
und the world. This agreement will allow ACUUS and UN-HABITAT to collaborate and work together to share and transfer the benefits, lessons learned, best practices, advantages and financing opportunities of underground sp
ace maintenance and development for its sustainable usage within a context of urban development, resilient cities and disaster risk deduction.
The ceremony was held in the UN-HABITAT New York office, with presence of ACUUS General Manager Mr. Jacques Besner, UN-HABITAT Executive Director Dr. Joan Clos, and ACUUS Secretary General Mrs. Sanja Zlantanic (From left to right in the photo below). Official announcement is published in UN-HABITAT’s front page, please refer to: http://unhabitat.org/cooperation-agreement-promotes-sustainable-use-of-underground-urban-space/.